Thursday, August 28, 2008

OUR FAMILY CONNECTIONS TO WW II

For both my husband and me, we have had family members who were enlisted in the war. My father was a Private in the Army Air Corps and served as a mechanic working on vehicles that had to be kept in good working order. He enlisted in 1941. My father’s brother served as a chauffeur in the military service and enlisted in 1942. My uncle served in the Air Corps and flew one mission to Ingolstadt. [I will devote another whole article later on about these veterans, their experiences and contributions.]

The main emphasis for this article is on my husband’s father who served in Europe and was in the middle of the action. He has given me a wealth of information about the war and several new insights into exactly how difficult missions could be. Although he passed away in 1989 we have many memories of him and the life he left behind.

No comments: